Sometimes we just need a hand. Everyone has times when they are strong for others…and then they need someone to be strong for them. I see it like a roller coaster. We are all on a roller coaster ride called “life.” Maybe your life is more calm than mine…it’s actually very possible. But everyone likes to know they can help someone and then also feel that help from others when they need it most.
So, here’s my random post about ways you can bring some relief to those around you (from the view-point of a stay-at-home-mom with small children):
– Going to the grocery store? Text a few friends who live nearby (especially stay-at-homers who might be dreading the trip to the store for a gallon of milk) to see if they need anything.
– Offer to plan a playdate with a friends’s kids so they can just have some time alone.
– Making a dinner that is easy to double or triple? Make a few extra batches to deliver to friends.
– Going through the Starbucks drive-through for a much-needed caffeine boost? See if you can bring a drink to a nearby friend. (THIS IS HUGE – for me, thanks to a dear, sanity-saving, friend on many occasions!)
– In need of a date but don’t have a budget for a babysitter on-top of the date activity? Arrange a date-swap with a friend…put your kids to bed, the friend comes over, have a snack and glass of something delicious and return the favor!
– Spring is almost here – a walk or run in the fresh air does wonders! Have a playdate and take turns going for a walk or run alone while the kids play.
Above all, I want to encourage you to have a good attitude. Our attitude is everything. If we let ourselves have pity-parties in times of trial, it can only lead to a downward spiral. Pray for strength to look up, take a deep breath, put on the armor of God and LOVE. I try to challenge myself to think of others when I might be wanting to think of myself. Who could use a hand? Or a cup of coffee?
Press on…your kids are watching you. Bless you.