Many people have probably heard of this and have made it…I hadn’t done it with my kids before and want to share it, along with some tips on making it, storing it and playing with it. My 2 year old had a “moon” party for her birthday. (Side note: We are quite random with our birthday themes around here and I am a firm believer in letting the kids pick the theme because anything can be turned into a party!) I made moon sand to send home with the cousins we had here…I haven’t heard if the parents are loving or hating that yet! But, we love this stuff and think it’s a great activity for sensory play AND mixes things up on these long winter days.
- Flour – the amounts depend on how much you want to make (See notes below in the Directions). I think you need at least 4 cups.
- Oil – baby oil is the best because it smells nice. But I am sure you can use any kind. You need at least 1/2 cup.
- Large tupperware with a lid (The Dollar Store has big ones that are great for this!) We like to play with it, put the lid back on, then play with it later – EASY.
- Cookie sheets for playing
- Tools and toys that can be submerged and then washed off