These could possibly rank as the easiest Christmas ornaments for kids to make almost entirely themselves. My kids had a blast rolling these out. My two-year-old tried the dough a few times and was disappointed, but was still proud of her final products. Even on the tree, these look good enough to eat…if you’re two!
What you need:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water
Christmas cookie cutters
a few birthday candles
yarn or ribbon
Age: 2 and up
What to do:
- Mix flour, salt and water on medium until dough is of even consistency.
- Lightly flour work surface.
- Help kids roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick.
- Give them cookie cutters and show them how to press all the way to the bottom of dough.
- Help move play dough shapes to ungreased cookie sheet.
- Using the end of a birthday candle or straw, help kids make holes for hanging the ornaments at the top of each shape.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 2 hours.
- Allow to cool.
- Tie yarn or ribbon on each ornament to hang.
- Remind your toddler these don’t taste like cookies!